Outdoor electronic billboard was the source of a smoldering fire at Kapiolani Boulevard Strip shopping center
Firefighters quickly put out a fire in a shopping center this morning on Kapiolani Boulevard that came from an electronic panel.
The Honolulu Fire Department received a call at 9 a.m. for a building fire at 1714 Kapiolani Boulevard and dispatched 11 units consisting of 43 people, with the first unit arriving four minutes later to find a light smoke emanating from the rear roof line.
Firefighters checked the roof using aerial and ground ladders, then used thermal cameras.
They could not detect any heat or elevated temperature coming from the mechanical heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment mounted on the roof or from the interior ceiling space.
Firefighters entered and found no signs of smoke, fire or heat signatures on their thermal cameras.
They discovered the source of the smoke and a smoldering fire was an electronic notice board for one of the businesses in the parapet area.
The fire was brought under control and extinguished at 9:27 a.m.
Firefighters removed the panel and roofing materials to search for and extinguish any fires and hidden hot spots, HFD said.
HFD reminds the public that working smoke detectors save lives, halving the risk of death in a home fire.
Fire sprinklers can also protect lives by limiting fires, reducing heat, flames and smoke, which would give people more time to escape, HFD said.