Exclusive: How big is the gender pay gap in Britain’s medical industry and who are the worst offenders?
Some 93.1% of companies in the medical sector pay their male employees more than their female employees, a Medical Device Network reveals the analysis.
The numbers, based on reports of all businesses in the UK with 250 or more employeesshow that two of the 29 companies that reported compensation figures had a higher median hourly wage for women than for men.
Across the sector, the median hourly wage for men was 8% higher than for women. This puts the medical industry below the national average of 11.6%.
A high gender pay gap does not necessarily imply that women are paid less for the same jobs, which would be illegal under the Equal Pay Act 1970. Instead, it may suggest that men tend to dominate higher-paying jobs within companies.
Women working in medical devices held 32.1% of the highest-paying jobs in the industry, with the rest of the highest positions (67.9%) held by men.
At the other end of the pay scale, women held 46.7% of the lowest-paying jobs in the medical industry.
On average, women also received 8.1% less bonuses than their male colleagues.
Among companies in the medical sector, SWANN-MORTON LIMITED had the largest median hourly wage difference, with women earning 27.6% less than men. This means that for every pound earned by men in the business, women earned 72p. It was followed by BIOMET UK LIMITED with a pay gap of 25.9% and OWEN MUMFORD LIMITED with 23.9%.
At the other end, SIEMENS HEALTHCARE DIAGNOSTICS PRODUCTS LTD paid women 2% more than men for every hour worked, followed by SIEMENS HEALTHCARE LIMITED which paid women 0.4% more and GLOBAL LIFE SCIENCES SOLUTIONS MANUFACTURING UK LTD , which paid women 0.9% less.
The gender pay gap in the medical industry has narrowed in the 2021-22 benchmark year compared to the previous year.
The data provides several summary indicators, including the difference in average and median salary for the two sexes. The average salary indicates the average salary in each group, while the median is the value that falls in the middle of a list of salaries ranked from lowest to highest, with half of the salaries below the median and the other half being higher. The median is used to prevent extreme values at either end of the salary scale (a CEO’s salary, for example) from skewing the average. Both metrics have pros and cons, but we’ve used the median numbers in our analysis.
To create an indicator for the medical industry, we calculated the average of the median wage gaps in the industry and weighted them by company size. In this way, a company with 20,000 or more employees would influence the average more than a company that employs 250 people.
While the numbers are a good indication of the state of the industry, they shouldn’t necessarily be taken at face value. As the first chart in the article suggests, many companies report a gender pay gap of zero, which is statistically unlikely. A minority of companies also reported a 100% gender pay gap, which could indicate that they have no employees at all.
Since companies are only required to publish summary statistics, the figures cannot be verified.